Sunday, July 3, 2011

One Planet. One People.

Rich in gems.

That is the only short way to possibly describe these past ten months. I knew ten months would be too short, but so many wonderful things have happened in such a short time. I wanted to write about everything I had learned which is a COMPLETE JOKE because that would take novels upon novels! So, please be satisfied with “rich in gems,” ok? There’s just too much to be able to write in a blog. Be assured that I would do this again in an instant, although it is service, right? That should be done at every instant.

I befriended many incredible people and those friendships I will cherish forever. I remember my first morning I woke up, I heard one of the groundsmen laughing and it has stuck with me for this whole time. I just loved that laughter is the same everywhere, but more importantly, people are the same everywhere. Cultures and such may be different, but the essence of human beings is one and the same. We’re all just world citizens walking around this earth. How magnificently beautiful!

I really don’t know what to say here. I leave in two days and I cannot describe the joy and grief I feel for leaving. How strange indeed to leave one home to reach another. I am sooo looking forward to seeing my friends and family (JET!!! Don’t worry, I love all you just as much). However, it really does make my heart ache to go. I guess that makes the hello’s that much sweeter, hey?

I will miss everyone here more than anything and I thank all of you who have been a part of this journey, whether it was your support, challenges, love, or encouragement. You are all in my heart, always. I love you all. I truly cannot wait for our paths to cross again. I’ll be scouting.

Well, on a happier note, my brother came a couple weeks ago!!! HOORAH!!! We went to Livingstone in Zambia and I was able to talk to some of my girls and the teachers and dear friends. I even saw one of the students!! That made my day. I must say though, the market there is CRAZY expensive compared to….the world. MAN! Dang those tourist towns! Shaaamee!!!

Anyway, we saw the Falls which are MUCH wetter in June than in December. As in, you are dry in December and you get SOAKED in June. The other youth I served with went at the end of April and that’s the wettest time…I can’t even imagine what it was like! Needless to say, on the day we went back to Zimbabwe, I cried the whooollleee way back. Such an embarrassment to my poor brother. What a patient big bruddah!

When we got back, we went camping a few days later. I wrote in my journal, “We’re going camping and will be surrounded by wild animals! Ok, that is probably an exaggeration.”

No. It wasn’t. At all. The first day we got there we saw water buffalo, impala (or some gazelle-like creatures), HUGE baboons, warthogs, and elelphants (which were right next to our camp). Then, that night we kept hearing sounds and there was a water buffalo right behind our tent eating grass. Not toooo bad, but then. THEN!!! I heard a sound to my left and we shined our torches on that side and what was there?

Behold! A HYENA!!!!! Freakin A!!! It was not even 7 meters away! Yeah, going to the bathroom was terrifying. It consisted of driving the car the 10 meters to the little ablutions block and back. Hahahah!

You think that is all? Ohhhh noooo. Oh no no no no no.

When we were in the tent I heard sniffing around my side. Sniffing right up against the tent!!! Now, I did not go out and investigate, but I am pretty sure it was a hyena.

I squealed like a little girl. And the HIPPOS!!! I thought for sure we were gonna be stampeded on their “emergency route” to water and they can be loud and they were right by us on the Zambezi river.

I did sleep well though. Really. And the second night wasn’t nearly as bad. The only animals we didn’t see were lions and leopards. Next time. Oh wait, let me clarify. I saw the fattest lions EVER at a sanctuary, but not in the wild.

Also, baby elephants are really cute and the mothers are really petrifying.

Now, the family who rescued me has a 21 month old daughter. I don’t even know what that is. Children just aint my thing and I have no idea what to do with them.

But ya know what? I have come to love her and her me. We play and cuddle even! I am a changed person, I’m telling ya! Haha! Really though, she is a cutie and I am gonna miss her.

If you haven’t passed out from this statement, please keep reading.

So the past two months have been so difficult and so amazing! I took my brother to the Baha’i center today and I just can’t explain how much I love the music here. The drumming just sends me to Heaven. Music truly is food for the soul.

Now, all that is left is packing. I hope we aren’t overweight. If we are, I refuse to pay. I am not looking forward to this part. Man! It is just too soon. Too soon. I fell in love with this place and it is going to hurt a lot to leave it. I have wonderful people to go back to, and I have wonderful people to return to here. It is a win-win situation and I thank God for it. Really, I could not be more grateful and thankful for everything that has happened this year. I wouldn’t change it for the world and I’d ask for nothing else. Some of my happiest moments have been here and I know there are many more coming from here, my other home, and other places I travel to. I sincerely am very happy.

I guess this is it for now. Physically I must say farewell to the land and people that uplifted my soul and brought me unexplainable joy, but I will always hold it dear to my heart and I know I have places to come back to.

I remember people telling me before I even came and while I was here that Africa gets into people’s blood and they yearn to come back and that it would no doubt get into my blood.

They were wrong.

Africa became my blood.

2 comments:

  1. SHAAAAAME! You don't know how happy I was to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, this was absolutely inspiring to read - the whole year! Let us both learn so much from our experiences. Africa is calling to me now through you...how about you show me around Zambia and Zimbabwe? :)

    ReplyDelete